Campervan and Motorhome Self Drive Hire Insurance

Camperbug offers both DAILY self drive hire and ANNUAL self drive hire policies.

If you have a campervan or motorhome and have ever thought about renting it out, you've probably wondered about insurance. We're pleased to say that Camperbug can insure your campervan for your customers to take it on hire.

Daily Scheme

you can insure your campervan or motorhome on a daily basis, i.e. just for the days that you want to rent it out to your customers. In such a situation, you will need to have a social and domestic policy to cover yourself for ‘off hire’. Off hire is when the van is parked on your drive or when you are using it personally.

We work with leading UK insurer, Markerstudy Insurance Company Limited the Underwriting Division of the Markerstudy Group to create an insurance product aimed at campervan owners. This is a specialist insurance product on behalf of Camperbug Ltd.

Annual Scheme

Your camper or motorhome is ensured for self drive hire for longer periods. For the annual scheme, we have created an insurance product aimed at campervan owners that are looking for long term flexible insurance. Our long term scheme is available to buy in 3, 6 or 12 month blocks.

Daily Self Drive Hire Insurance

We now provide the most cost effective self drive hire daily campervan insurance that you will find anywhere.

What Is Self Drive Hire Insurance?

Self drive hire insurance allows you to rent out your campervan to other people (ie customers). The policy we create for you, will be in the name of the person that owns the van. So if it is your van, the policy is always in your name.

The customer is added, rather like a designated driver and allowed to use the vehicle for a period of days as stipulated by the length of the contract that you buy.

Can You Tell Me a Little More About the Kind of Insurance I need to Hire Out My Campervan?

We get asked this question all the time! So here is a short yet hopefully informative guide to campervan hire insurance and the Camperbug annual and daily schemes. For the newbie campervan hire company, or motorhome hire company - the following information will be useful. And if you're an experienced campervan or motorhome owner possibly with a number of vehicles maybe we can help you out too. We want to create competition in the small world of self drive hire insurance and provide you with more options when you need to insure a van for your customers.

So obviously you'll need insurance to hire out your camper to customers or friends.

A quick conversation with your personal policy provider will make you realise that the insurance you use for your annual domestic & social policy doesn't quite cut the mustard when you want to hire your vehicle out commercially. Your insurer will not allow strangers to drive it. Previously, after discovering this, campervan owners would embark on a long fruitless search. However now, with the advent of the Camperbug scheme, we can instantly provide the insurance you're seeking!

Look no further! After your account has been approved, you will have access to the country's leading daily and annual campervan hire insurance scheme!

What Periods Does the Camperbug Insurance Cover?

We offer both daily and annual campervan insurance policy. A daily policy will run for the period of your hire. It is not intended to replace your regular domestic campervan policy. The self drive policy will have precedence over your regular insurance for the period of the short term hire. Upon expiration of the hire, your campervan will revert to being insured by your regular insurer.

So for example if your customer wishes to hire a camper for seven days, then the insurance policy will cover you for these seven days.

Please remember that you will need a domestic policy to cover you for the periods your van is not covered by the daily scheme.

The annual policy will run for a longer period of time period, which means that you do not have to file customer details and create a new contract when you want to hire out your van or motorhome, anyone that meets the criteria will be covered.

The Camperbug Insurance Scheme and What it Costs?

So how much does it cost to get yourself set up? For new Camperbug owners it's 100% free to register on our system and get yourself started. We already list over 700 campervans and a hundred motorhomes and we'd love to talk to you about yours too.

Our rates are unbelievably competitive and once you're registered, you'll have full access to both these schemes. We want to make campervan and motorhome self drive hire insurance simple for everyone that registers. We believe our schemes are the start of providing our vehicle owners with an alternative and cost effective method to getting insured.

What are the Customer Eligibility Criteria for Camperbug's Scheme?

So you need to know if the person you are lending your pride and joy too is eligible to hire the van in the first place! To see the basic scheme guidelines please scroll down. Always remember that facts need checking. You will be required to ensure that the details the hirer has supplied are correct by requesting physical proof of the information they have attested to be true. ie a driving licence, passport and utility bills. You will need to take photos of these documents and also ensure that they will on hand in the event of a claim. The more checks you do on potential customers, the better. (scroll down for annual criteria)

Annual Self Hire Insurance Scheme Criteria

The exclusive Camperbug facility has been designed to cater for your every need both as a Campervan / Motorhome owner / user and lender. Please find below the policy and criteria highlights:-


Comprehensive Cover
Dedicated In House Team
Unlimited Mileage
Unlimited Hires – maximum 60 days any one hire
Maximum Value - £50,000
Free Legal Expense Insurance
Owner Usage – Social Domestic & Pleasure, Business Use in respect of the Hire process / business & Hire & Reward for Weddings & Proms
Owner Employees Usage – Business Use in respect of the Hire process / business
Hirer – Self Driver Hire £500 Excess
25% Co Insurance Clause – Theft by Hirer Only (this means you get 75% back)
Access to Documents 24/7 via your own direct online account
Option to flag & refer anything that falls outside cover and/or criteria for consideration
£500 insurance excess

Driving Criteria

Applies to all drivers regardless of usage

Age 23 – 70
Minimum Experience – 2 Years
Licence – UK / EU / AUS / NZ / USA / CAN /
Convictions – No more than 2 minor motoring convictions in the last 5 years
Points - A Maximum of 6 points
Accidents – No more than 1 fault accident in the last 3 years


Dedicated in house team
Access to specialist repairers
Option to select own repairers

Mileage and European Cover for daily insurance

We offer unlimited European use and unlimited mileage is included too.

Wedding and Proms insurance on the Annual policy

Unfortunately at this time we are unable to offer a policy that includes chauffeuring to proms and weddings

Breakdown Cover

We offer a breakdown policy . This is breakdown cover which permits vans to do self drive hire.

Roadside, Local, Nationwide Recover & Homestart £99.99
Roadside, Local, Nationwide Recover, Homestart & EU* £119.99

EU cover has a 16 year age limit on vehicle age.

The max vehicle dimensions are:
Weight 3.5t
Length 7m
Height 3m
Width 2.25m

Note the cover provides mis-fuelling as standard

Daily Self Hire Insurance Scheme Criteria

Here are the basic criteria:

Between 25 and 70 years of age
Max of £50k value (£25k+ requiring cat1)
Full UK licence for minimum of 3 years
Maximum of 6 points on all drivers licences
1 claim (fault/no fault) in last three years
SD&P use only
25% Co-Insurance clause on theft
Depending on the value of your campervan, these are the excesses applicable to the policy. These are normally collected in advance from the customer.
Value £0-£15k £500 excess
Value £25k £750 excess
Value £35k £1000 excess
Value £50k £1250 excess

European Cover for daily insurance

We cannot offer European cover for any campervan hires currently and this position is unlikely to change in 2015. Ours is a new scheme and the policy and insurance provision is being monitored and tested. If the situation changes and we are able to insure European hires, we will contact alll the Camperbug owners to update you of the situation.

Non UK Licences for daily insurance

We can insure some customers from outside the UK to drive your van. If they are eligible to be insured, this will add an additional £250 excess to the excess that is already weighted on your vehicle value.

Eligible country licences with an additional £250 excess are:

EU (all European Union licences)
New Zealand
South Africa

Unfortunately at this time the Camperbug scheme cannot insure USA and Canadian licence holders for our daily scheme.

Wedding and Proms insurance on the Daily policy

These hires are fine provided there is no charge and it is a self drive hire of a customer borrowing your van. As long as there would be no “profiting” from the hire it is ok, sharing the expense between a number of parents etc would be acceptable in the case of a prom or a bride paying for a van for her bridesmaids.

What if Someone Does Not Fit the Criteria?

For example, you might have someone a little older or younger than the scheme guidelines. The system is completely automated but of course we are always happy to discuss exceptions to the rule and the online purchase process is designed to allow you to communicate with us and ask questions. So no blanket refusals without recourse to discussion.

Many of you will have worked with Camperbug since we launched in 2010 and you'll know that we're happy to answer any of your questions at any time. If you haven't worked with us before, here are some of the press clippings we've received over the years:

We hope that this answers some of your questions, anything else do ask and if you'd like to get yourself registered, just drop us a line and we'd be happy to get you set up.